Give your flavor palette a workout with this delicious chutney. It’s sweet and tangy flavor is sure to please! Serve this yummy chutney warmed over baked brie as a delicious appetizer or in your meal atop a grilled chicken breast.
- 3 cups white vinegar
- 4 cups Golden Delicious or Spartan apples – peeled, cored and chopped (One medium apple yields about 1 cup chopped apples)
- 10 cups tomatoes, cored and peeled (unless you are using Romas – then you may leave the skin on)
- 3 cups lightly packed brown sugar
- 2 cups cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1 ½ cups onions, chopped
- 1 ½ cups red bell pepper, chopped and seeded
- 1 cup Golden raisins
- 1 Serrano pepper, finely chopped (if you like a hotter flavor, leave the seeds – otherwise remove seeds for a milder temperature)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
In a large stainless steel stock pot, add white vinegar. As you are prepping your apples, place them in the vinegar giving them a quick stir so that the vinegar coats the apples preventing them from browning.
Prep and add all remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently until mixture begins to thicken – approximately 30 minutes.
Ladle hot chutney into hot jars leaving a ½” headspace. Remove any air bubbles and adjust headspace if necessary. Wipe rim using a warm wash cloth dipped in vinegar, then add lid and ring. Hand tighten.
Place jars in water bather and be sure to completely cover jars with 1” of water. Process pint jars in a water bather for 10 minutes. Remember, processing time does not begin until water is at a full rolling boil.
The Canning Diva®